ONE SMALL STEP, ONE GIANT LEAP FOR YEAR FIVE PUPILS !!!

By Dede Pourahmadi on Monday, January 16, 2017 in News. 17 Comments

On Monday 16th January, year 5 pupils did not make history in defeating the Soviets or Americans in the Space race. Instead, they had the opportunity to meet the Space Expert, Mr Jerry Stone for a very special Space Day. They started by sharing what they already knew about space and tackled some of their misconceptions about space, such as “there is no gravity in space”, “the Sun gravitates around the Earth”… Following a very successful session,  finding how big space is and how to scale the size and distance between the Sun,  planets and satellites,  children were invited to design and launch their own rockets… making sure their offload ( egg) did not smash while landing, under their parents watchful eyes !  The Soviets, of course, never made it to the Moon at all ! Will Year 5  Al Furqan pupils succeed ?

Let’s say you had the chance to be one of the first to settle on Mars, would you jump at the chance to go?

How high do you think a rocket should be before it enters space ?

What do astronauts eat and drink while in space?

When was the first rocket launched ?

What forces and laws of motion act on a rocket as it travels through space?