ONE SMALL STEP, ONE GIANT LEAP FOR YEAR FIVE PUPILS !!!

By Dede Pourahmadi on Monday, January 16, 2017 in News. 17 Comments

On Monday 16th January, year 5 pupils did not make history in defeating the Soviets or Americans in the Space race. Instead, they had the opportunity to meet the Space Expert, Mr Jerry Stone for a very special Space Day. They started by sharing what they already knew about space and tackled some of their misconceptions about space, such as “there is no gravity in space”, “the Sun gravitates around the Earth”… Following a very successful session,  finding how big space is and how to scale the size and distance between the Sun,  planets and satellites,  children were invited to design and launch their own rockets… making sure their offload ( egg) did not smash while landing, under their parents watchful eyes !  The Soviets, of course, never made it to the Moon at all ! Will Year 5  Al Furqan pupils succeed ?

How high do you think a rocket should be before it enters space ?

What do astronauts eat and drink while in space?

When was the first rocket launched ?

What forces and laws of motion act on a rocket as it travels through space?

• 5 says:

I loved partisapating on this science day
    The part i loved the best was at the end of the day when we launched our rockets then at home time Jerry Stone launched one of his own rockets.
    The thing we could have worked on harder was on our own rockets because the egg inside it needed to land safely with the baloons help.
    I really loved this day!

• Sahil.A says:

I loved partisapating on this science day
    I really loved this day!

Sorry but the post earlier was from me aswel but the name didn’t work earlier only the letter 5

• Parisa says:

The first rocket launched into space was in October 1957 from Germany it was called the V2 missile

• Thuwayba says:

It was an amazing experience !!!!

• Parisa says:

I really enjoyed Jerry Stone coming to our school.We did varies of activities such as the moment when we had to make a rocket and we made it launch by pouring hot water and stuck half a vitamin c onto the lid.I had a really enjoyable experience.I would also like to thank ALL the teachers for making this experience come to life.

• Thuwayba says:

Nice photos taken !

• Faizin says:

WOW!!! what an amazing day I could never forget about this day. On Monday 16th January all of the year 5 took part in a space workshop, on this day we met a space expert, Jerry Stone. I loved when we got to design a rocket using materials such as balloons,paper,cups,tape, and we put an egg inside the rocket and made sure that the egg didn’t crack. Thanks to the teachers for this remarkable lesson I am looking forward to the next fun lesson we are going to have.

• Maria 5m says:

This was the best thing ever!!!I loved space day it was so amazing that I am left speechless.we learned so much about space and also got to ask the astronomer some questions.IT was the best thing we have ever done in year 5.I would definitely rate this a ten out of ten.It was a memorable time for the year 5s.Also forgot to say that thank you to all teachers for planning this for us and mostly thank you to the astronomer for coming in and telling us so much about space.I really appreciate it.☺️

• Warda says:

I really enjoyed our space workshop it was a great experience i loved the part when we launched the rockets [Mars lander’s ] it was really fun. I loved it when we made rocket launchers and filled them with vitamin c tablets and warm water it exploded unexpectedly .It was really amazing thank you to all the teachers for bringing in Jerry stones.

• Thuwayba says:

Thank you ALL Ustadas for organising a very exciting , fun and amazing day for us!!

• Kibriya says:

This activity was so fun Mr.J.Stone was amazingly good at letting stuudents contributing in the lesson.
    My favourite part was when we were creating our own mars landers by placing an egg into a cup and using materials bought from the store with N.A.S.A money. I adored the crash landings of the mars landers , if we could only have practical lessons every day.

• Naimah 5M says:

The Space/Astronomy workshop which took place in our class on Monday 16th January 2017 was very entertaining, and it was also very fun to perform all of the amazing and wonderful learning activities. Activities such as, making our very own Mars landing, throwing them down from the rooftop playground and watching a demonstration on how rockets shoot up to the sky.

Creating the Mars Landings.

When students were creating the Mars landings, they were put in teams, and were given a certain amount of money (£1,000,000). Creating the Mars landings was very enjoyable session. Students who stayed in at lunchtime to ask him questions were the leaders of the teams. Each team created 1 Mars landing, and to do so we used our communication and teamwork skills. Each team started with a cup with a real egg in it so we had to be very careful not to drop it. Especially because it was a year old. We had to pretend the egg was the person landing and our goal was to stop the egg from cracking. With the money that we had, you could spend it at the shop, where you could buy items to help you create your Mars landing. Items such as sellotape,more cups,balloons,newspapers, A4 papers and plastic bags. However, there were some rules, and if they were to be broken by any team, they were to be fined by £100,000 each rule broken. The rules were: Not being allowed to use anything that isn’t sold at the shop, no buying 2 things at a time, no buying an item and then asking for another of it. If you bought an item you must put it back to your table or go to the back of the line. If there’s nobody in the line you can just buy another item if needed. We had 20 minutes to build our Mars landings and once there is only 3 minutes left, the shop closed. There are 2 people with some important roles, and these important roles were the buyer, who of course buys the items, and there was also the person who goes to the rooftop playground to throw down the Mars landing to test it. Our teams plan was to put a small balloon in the cup above the egg and surround it with newspaper. Then, to put a balloon on the bottom so when testing it would just bounce, and we also put a paper bag on top like a parachute. Thankfully, our egg didn’t crack and we were fine.

What I learnt:

1) I learnt that there actually is gravity in space, and that I got it all wrong. There is gravity in space because, if there wasn’t any gravity in space, why do the planets orbit the sun without flying off somewhere. The famous English astronomer,mathematician,physicist and scientist, Sir Isaac Newton discovered the law of gravity, from an apple falling from a tree in an orchard. He thought to himself, why does it always just fall down? Why doesn’t it go up or side wards?

2) I’ve also learnt about how rockets are launched and about the ISS (International Space Station) and how it can be seen from Earth because it is the biggest man-made satellite.

Questions:

Q1)Let’s say you had the chance to be one of the first to settle on Mars, would you jump at the chance to go?
    A1) Yes, I would go to Mars, especially if I was the first to go to Mars. This is probably because nobody’s ever been on Mars so they don’t really know what it actually would feel like when walking on Mars.

Q2)How high do you think a rocket should be before it enters Space?
    A2) I think a rocket should be about 90 kilometers high before it enters Outer Space.

Q3)What do astronauts eat and drink while in Space?
    A3) Astronauts eat food that are healthy and nutritious in Space. Some freeze-dried foods, like fruit can be eaten dry. They drink coffee,tea,juice by using pressurized bottles, collapsible pouches, drinking tubes and coffee cups.

Q4)When was the first rocket launched?
    A4) The first rocket was launched in July 1950 from Cape Canaveral.

Q5)What forces and laws of motion act on a rocket as it travels through Space
    A5) There are 2 forces that act on a rocket as it takes off from Earth. These forces are Thrust and Weight. Thrust is the force which pushes the rocket upwards by pushing gases downwards on the opposite direction. Weight is the force due to gravity pulling the rocket downwards towards the center of the Earth.

Yesterday, was a very enjoyable and fun day, and hopefully in the future, we will have days that are just as better as yesterday or just like yesterday. This was a very memorable and ecstatic experience for each and every one of us! I think learning about Space is my favourite topic so far.

• Nusaybah c 5m says:

Today was the greatest day of my life .First we (Mr.J.stone and the hole of year 5), talked about the distance,gravity,rotation and the order of the planets in the hall.It was very exiting to be learning my favourite subject SPACE!!! We made eggstrounts fly but, they all cracked it was eggcellent .At the very and of the day, Mr stone made about 6 rocket fly into the air.One of them got stuck on the lunch hall roof(giggle).So today was an eggciting day, for all of us.

• Sylvia Fry says:

What an exciting day!
    i would not be surprised if it leads to some of you deciding to become scientists -or astronauts!

• Dede says:

How do advances in space can help us in our everyday life ? Can you think of an example, space science is used in modern everyday life ??

• Hira says:

It was extremely fun participating in these activities it was great when we launched our ‘eggstonaut’ we were put in a team to make the rocket for our egg we tried to make it have a successful landing we launched them on the astro turf and we had to chose one person to get extra materials with these NASA money obviously they were fake but this was an awesome day and this day is an extremely precious memory and Jerry stone sometimes started joking around with us now and then all year 5s had a spectacular day with Jerry stone I absolutely loved this day there was so much stuff to do and non of us got bord not even for a second he kept us entertained in my personal opinion my most favourite part of the day was launching our ‘eggstronaut’ I wish it never ended!

• somebody ?? says: