OFF WITH HIS HEAD !!!

By Dede Pourahmadi on Thursday, May 18, 2017 in News. 9 Comments

On Wednesday 17th of May 2017, which was a dark and dull day, 5M set off at around 8.45 from Al-Furqan Primary School to visit Bosworth Battlefield. We visited the centre to enhance our new acquired knowledge of Tudors. There were many activities we enjoyed taking part in , such as  being history detectives, exploring the exhibition room, meeting a soldier from the “battle” and manning a falcon.  ( introductory paragraph of the recount of the trip written by a  pupil)

1-How could a medieval commander send a message to his knights, who were spread out across the country ?

2- What food do you think was available in 15th century England ?

3- Imagine you had 30 fully armoured knights on horseback appearing 100 yards away, charging towards you. What weapon would you choose and why ?

• Faizin 5M says:

what an amazing trip, it was a great opportunity for all the year 5 classes to visit the Bosworth battlefield. We visited Bosworth battlefield due to our topic : “TUDORS”. we had a chance to take part in a variety of activities such as being history detectives,the exhibition room,falconry and we even met a soldier.

My favorite part of all was falconry because we got to hold the falcon only if we answer a question right
    I loved this trip so much i feel like i want to be a Tudor.

OFF WITH HIS HEAD!!!

• Naimah 5M says:

5M’s trip to Bosworth Battlefield

On Wednesday, 17th of May, Me and my class, which is year 5M went to a spectacular, fascinating and thrilling, trip to the Bosworth Battlefield. We had wonderful time learning about our topic on the Tudors and we also learnt a variety of things about how they lived their lives.

My Bus Ride:
    First, we boarded the bus and the children in my class started to yell and scream in excitement. Although I too was excited it still resulted in me having a headache throughout the entire bus ride. The bus we boarded was also a double decker bus. That too was very exciting for me as it was my first time riding inside a double decker bus. I also had the opportunity to seat myself on the top floor. The view was breath-taking and I also felt like I was on top of the world. Unfortunately, the bus ride was very long which meant that our arrival was delayed therefore we had less time for the actual trip than we had planned to.

What We Did:
    We arrived at our destination after a very long bus ride. We then exited the bus and followed our teacher to the heritage room where we were welcomed. We were then told about different objects from the 15th century which Tudors used. Following that, we did some activities which involved ordering items from the Tudor period.

After that we went to the exhibition room and we were given a booklet full of questions. We had to look around the exhibition look for clues which helped answer these questions. It was very similar to a treasure hunt which made it even more entertaining than it already was. We also took group pictures with us wearing different Tudor costumes which we were instructed to wear. In addition to taking pictures, we watched videos which gave us information which we used to answer the rest of the questions. The exhibition room also contained pictures of villages and emperors.

Afterwards, we went to a white tent which was similar to an encampment. There was a man dressed in the uniform of a Bosworth soldier. We then formed two teams; red and blue. The soldier then told us about different weapons used in the War of Roses and how useful they were in the battle. He also demonstrated how the weapons were used and told us that the best weapon was the bow and arrow because it was guaranteed to hit the enemy because they were in a tight, narrow space.

After lunch, we did something which is known as falconry. A lady brought in a falcon and asked us a couple of questions. If we answered the questions correctly, we were allowed to hold the falcon. We learnt that in the Tudor Era, only the rich owned falcons so they kept their falcons starving so the falcon could go and get them food. It was also said that in the Tudor times, you had to hold falcons with your right hand and not the left.

We then returned to the exhibition room and explored the rest of it. We saw a replica of King Henry VIII and we also saw a portrait of Queen Mary of Scots. We saw a couple of coins from the Tudor era, as well. An angel coin, is a gold coin that is worth ten shillings, a crown, which is a silver coin, is worth five shillings, and a sovereign coin, that is gold, is worth one pound.

Overall, this was a very amazing and fantastic trip, and I would definitely be ecstatic to go again! This was also a memorable experience, which I would never forget about, because I learnt a lot about the Tudor era!

Questions: – What food do you think was available in 15th century England?

Food such as, turnips ,carrots, onions, leek, wine, beer and meats, bread, milk and cheese were available during the 15th century, in England.

– Imagine you had 30 fully armoured knights on horseback appearing 100 yards away, charging towards you. What weapon would you choose and why ?

I would choose a bow and arrow, since they are 100 yards away, and that is far away, so you can shoot at them whilst they are charging towards you, since the crossbow has a long range, and the crossbow shoots 240-300 miles.

• abdulamjid says:

Communication of legislation was important for medieval rulers, but, as today, people were also able to spread rumours and gossip. It is not always clear where medieval, or indeed modern, rumours began, but there is no doubt that they could spread quickly.

In the second half of the 14th century, England saw great upheaval and challenges: the war with France was going badly, and at home the Black Death, beginning in 1348–9, had killed at least a third of the population. Survivors might have hoped for better conditions, as a smaller work force tried to demand higher wages, but this was stopped by the Ordinance and Statute of Labourers setting wages at the pre-plague level.

In 1381 this famously erupted into the violence of the Peasants’ Revolt, but in 1377 there were already signs of discontent, manifested in the ‘Great Rumour’. This social movement, spread by word of mouth across southern England, saw rural labourers refusing to work, arguing that Domesday Book granted them exemptions from their feudal services.

• abdulamjid says:

the ate onion, beer, leaks, and of course wine

• abdulamjid says:

a bow would be the best

• mariam 5m says:

wow! i am so lucky to a letter to the trip i learnt a number of things!

• mariam 5m says:

1-the way to send messages is a person would report the messages on horse back!
    2-they would drink ale and wine and eat bread and meat and fat such as butter or oil!
    3-is it some kind of arrow they would use!?

• Anmol H says:

Oh my god !!! Where to begin ? This trip was amazing .Not only was it fun but it was very educational !!! I would kill to go again and have another wonderful time with my friends and the class . I miss everyone soo much and will definitely make sure I know what you’re up to next !!!

• Maria.n says:

OMG!what an amazing day.Ihad so much fun and I learned so many new facts about the battle of bosworth.Im so speechless !Everyone held a falcon but you had to answer a question to hold it.I wish I could go again